Many of the names and some of the descriptions in this blog have been changed to protect the guilty.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Spitting to All Fields, Part 1

Bumper Sliding

Grab the car bumper of a total stranger on a snow/ice covered street and go on a sweet slide ride. I used to think this was just an Acres thing, until I found of that kids from Forest Park also bumper slid.

So, for years after this revelation— that ruffians in The X enjoyed this winter sport just as much as folk from The Acres—I discovered that the youth of Haverhill, MA partook in this pastime as well! A friend of mine who went to college with my brother explained the Haverhillian tactic of slowing down the car enough to grab the bumper: have your friends start a fake fight. Works every time.

“Wow!” I exclaimed. “That’s how kids from The X did it too!”

We weren’t nearly as imaginative on our street, but, make no mistake, we knew how to rein in a car. If we were tossing a football, an errant pass usually went in front of the car, and then, presto: the vehicle braked to bumper sliding speed. Just run up and grab some steel. Many motorists on Parker Street used to cut through our neighborhood to get to Wilbraham Road, and they felt the need for speed in doing this—bombing down Sunrise Terrace, and then speeding down Maebeth Street. Consequently, we felt the need to slow some of them down on Maebeth with a little bumper sliding action.

The reaction of the driver, of course, was usually one of shock and then swearing. Well, shut up and roll up that window and drive slower. And by the way, Speed Racer, would you like a snowball chaser to go with that bumper slide?

I recently read the memoir Townie by Andre Dubus III, which contains a story that corroborates my Haverhill friend’s account of bumper sliding being an unofficial sport in his city. Early in the book, one of Dubus' friends in Haverhill indeed grabs a bumper and treats a car like a dogsled. Did kids do this anywhere aside from Springfield and Haverhill? Let me know. This is important research.

My friend Rick Riccardi once pulled an impulsive bumper slide when he visited me in college in upstate New York, and the police witnessed the act. “What were you doing back there?” one of the cops asked him. “Bumper sliding,” he said matter-of-factly. But the looks on the officers’ faces resembled that of the startled drivers who used to tow us on the icy streets. They had never heard of such a phenomenon. “Well, don’t do that,” said the cop. “It’s dangerous.”

No shit. It’s also a lost sport—almost. Below is a video of some bumper-sliders, but they know the driver, so it doesn’t really count. Unfortunately, today’s bumpers are nearly impossible to grab, unlike their 1970s and 1980s metal counterparts.

I'm taking an informal poll. Which was more fun: bumper sliding or hitting cars with snowballs? Please let me know in the comments section at the end.

Care to guess where the photo above was taken?

I snapped that picture just before picking up some food at Ginger Blossom in Sixteen Acres Center. The wall on the north side of the restaurant sports the iconic pharmacist’s mortar and pestle—where Acre Drug was located. I think it’s great that they keep on painting it, decades after Acre Drug closed.

After taking that photo, I took a good look around, and whadda ya know: the old “No Loitering” sign from my childhood is still on the Family Dollar/Goodwill building next door, formerly home of the A & P Supermarket and then the Plywood Ranch. A.C. White and his father, who headed their namesake real estate company, owned the building and apparently didn’t want any punks hanging around A & P. But A.C. the Third died in 1997, so I guess someone should tell the Circle Gang that it’s safe to loiter and smoke cigarettes there now.

I think my first act of shoplifting ever, when I was around six years old, was grabbing peanuts from that peanut barrel in A & P and stuffing them in my pockets. Did any other Acres folks do this at A & P? Please fess up in the comment section at the end of this entry. I think the statue of limitations has run out on this heinous crime.

What else was in that shopping center? Oh yes, Friendly’s, which was replaced by the Parker House, which was replaced by Jilly’s. Next door was Barsom Beauty Salon and then at the far end, on the right, was Liberty Bakeries.

On the day John F. Kennedy was assassinated, my dad walked into this very bakery and the old Irish woman who worked there was crying. I also cried like a baby the day Kennedy died. I pissed and shit myself as well. After all, I was only seven months old.

The old neon House of Television “HOT” sign in The Acres: after I wrote a blog entry on the sign’s demise, who should opine in the “comments” section but HOT owner Moe Feldstein’s daughter. His son had briefed me about the sign’s demise at the hands of Milton Rosenberg, who owned HOT’s successor, Bernie’s House of Television, but not the building. Still, he had the sign dismantled anyway. Tracy Feldstein had this to say about the fate of the iconoclastic neon beacon that ruled over The Center:

“I’ve never talked about this subject before... but when that sign came down, it really ripped me up.

“It was amazing how gracefully mom and dad took it. One day the sign just wasn’t there. They called Milton (or his lawyer, I can’t remember which) and were told that he just “threw it away.” There was no love loss there, for sure.

“Mom told me that when she said she wanted to keep the sign she was told that it was useless and what could she possibly want with it, anyway? She said that she would ‘put it in the backyard.’

“For me, it really was a beginning of the end. There was no time to squabble. Dad passed away within a few weeks.

“I'm in California now. I’ve gone to the Burning Man Art festival 8 times. I’ve brought big art out there and every stinking year I have this fantasy. I imagine that he hadn't thrown it away and I take it out to the beautiful Nevada desert and set it up for 50,000 people to see. H...O...T... HOT...HOT..H...O...T...HOT...HOT... The full word flashed two times. Burned in my brain...It was part of my family.”

“Thanks,” added Tracy, adding that the blog entry “means a lot” to her.

No problem, Tracy. You know, I’ve got a great idea: someone should commission a live-sized replica of the HOT sign for a sculpture!

Tracy also related a story to me about Moe’s attempt at selling albums in a record bin at HOT in the early 1970s: “Dad wasn’t what you’d call ‘hip’ and the Engelbert Humperdink just sat there.”

And then there was the time that Moe, always wanting the latest in technology, was thinking about adding 3-D movies to HOT’s video rental operation in the mid-1980’s: “The only thing that dad could get in 3-D was an X-rated move called Sexcalibur. So there he was, sitting in the house with a pair of paper glasses on watching a triple-X movie, totally oblivious to the content.”

Moe wasn’t impressed. “This doesn’t look three-dimensional,” he complained. “Does this look 3-D to you? I don’t think 3-D television will ever work.”

Across Parker Street, where Sixteen Acres Mobil is now, I had always heard that there was a bar on the corner waaaay back in the day. And, sure enough, here is a 1929 ad for a “frolic” at Club Dolan on New Year’s Eve.

Were there beverages alcoholic at the frolic? It was during Prohibition, so who knows what weaselly ways people caught a buzz at the Dolan. Emptying flasks into their drinks under the table? Boozing it up before they went out? Probably.

Let’s move from The Center down Wilbraham Road to Breckwood Boulevard. Does anyone remember the fountain that was in front of the old AM/PM Mini Mart, which is now a Shell station? Surely you can recall kids putting dishwashing detergent in the fountain, which then emitted suds that sometimes flooded into the intersection. The fountain pool is now a flower bed, which you can see bordered in a white curb next to the fire hydrant above and below.

The shopping strip behind the fountain was once home to Big Y Supermarket and Big Y Wine & Liquor, the latter of which is now Winn Liquors. Below is a 1978 ad for Big Y Wine & Liquor. Mmmmm. Big Y Vodka. How much time did we spend on the side of that establishment waiting for someone who was willing to buy beer for us? Too much time, especially in the freezing friggin’ cold.

I can’t believe the neon sign below on Winn Liquors still works! Protected from rock throwers by wire mesh, the sign is a beacon for college students—as well for as the alcoholics who hang around the west side of the lot in the afternoon, drinking in their cars and stumbling back into the store for more. No, the neighborhood ain’t what it used to be. Below is a photo of the cinemas that used to occupy the Big Y supermarket building. Now the structure is vacant and looking quite derelict.

Anyone recall Ryan Drug in that shopping center?

Across the street is Duggan Middle School, or, as us old geezers say, Duggan Junior High School—the students of which, dare I say, were the perpetrators of the ol’ fountain suds prank. Or maybe it was the kids from Western New England College. Who knows? Possibly both. Anyway, below is a snippet from the 1973 Duggan yearbook. I felt compelled to include the page below because the “most musical” person in the class was Laurie MacAlpine. That should come as no surprise because she was the sister of Pine Point’s virtuoso guitarist Tony MacAlpine, arguably the most famous rock musician to come out of Springfield since Taj Mahal (other than the Staind guys and NRBQ’s Tommy Ardolino).

Tony MacAlpine

RIP Matt Gosselin, who was voted “best sense of humor” in the Duggan Class of ’73, along with Anne Biscaldi, according to the page from the yearbook above. Matty died in a house fire on Pine Point’s Wisteria Street in 2004.

The land on which Duggan sits was a former landfill, back when this section of Springfield was mostly farmland. During the Great Depression, the dump on the Duggan site became a pathetic Hooverville-style shanty town inhabited by homeless people. Then a large shack, dubbed the “Hotel O’Shay,” was built there and converted into a mess hall for unemployed laborers who were temporarily hired by the city to toil on public works projects.

Prior to Franklin Roosevelt’s sweeping New Deal economic efforts, the burden of public work relief programs fell on state and local governments. However, during the fall of 1932 the much-reviled Hoover administration provided loans to help cities such as Springfield fund their relief budgets. Hoover lost the ’32 election anyway.

As you can see above from a snippet of a Springfield Daily News story from December 12, 1932, these public workers plugged away on outside jobs throughout the winter, and they were grateful from the opportunity—although a sleet storm that day slowed things down a bit, with only 150 men showing up instead of the usual 900 to 1,000.

The “welfare laborers,” according the story, were busy with clearing and grading work on not only the new South Branch Parkway, but also on the “Breckwood tract”—the new Breckwood Boulevard, as well as digging out the new Breckwood Pond and building a dam for the pond and the portion of the road above it to enable motorists to cross over the North Branch of the Mill River.

In these photos you can see a waterless Breckwood “pond,” the dam, a sewer pipe, and the snow-covered hill to the south of the ravine.

Below, a scally-capped gentleman stands in front of a wheelbarrow. A tree in the middle of the photo provides an excellent coat rack for the laborers.

Part of Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal was the Works Progress Administration (WPA), which employed millions to carry out projects on roads, bridges, buildings, and other endeavors. Springfield WPA workers assembled at the Hotel O’Shay in the photo below are waiting in line for a meal.

The federal WPA program was a godsend to many Springfield citizens, even though at times there seemed to be a bit of a stampede for the free food.

A small vegetable farm was grown at the site of the Hotel O’Shay (also called Shea’s Hotel), and the meals were cooked there by chef Henry M. Thomas, grandfather of the Urban League of Springfield CEO Henry M. Thomas III. My uncle’s father worked for the WPA and to this day my uncle keeps a gourd in his garage—a keepsake vegetable from his dad’s garden plot at the Hotel O’Shay! Needless to say, the next time I visit my uncle I’m going to get a photo of this sucker and post it.

The WPA also built the bridge over the South Branch of the Mill River on Bradley Road (below) in 1933.

A year later these workers built the more elegant bridge over the North Branch of the Mill River (in the photos below), on the western end of the North Branch Parkway, between Breckwood Circle and Sunrise Terrace.

Both bridges were made of the red sandstone that one finds all over this area.

Years later, WPA workers dug out and damned one of the two North Branch streams that would be called Putnam’s Puddle, named for Springfield Mayor Roger Putnam. Below is a portion of a 1938 article about a City Council order authorizing various WPA projects, including “building an artificial pond” near the North Branch tributary parkway: the one and only Putnam’s Puddle.

My uncle’s father was one of the crew that dug out Putnam’s Puddle. In fact, to prolong the job, on one Friday afternoon the workers clogged the dam’s openings with sandbags to prematurely flood that portion of the ravine over the weekend. This resulted in additional work the following week to remove the blockage and drain the area. Scandalous? Oh, what the hell—desperate times call for desperate measures.

Fast forward nearly four decades: in the woods next to Putnam’s Puddle, my friends and I undertook a public works project of our own: an underground party “fort” that we called The Pothole. Now the hole, which had a “retractable” half-roof (a sheet of plywood) for rainy-day festivities, is eroded and covered with leaves :

Above is a recent photo of the dam at Putnam’s Puddle, where we also used to gather. The structure was patched up by the city—and by neighbors—over the years, but it was always in tough shape. In 1970 a guy named Mark Gilfoil took advantage of the wet cement on the structure to leave his name for the ages (below).

Who was this guy? I did a quick web search, and according to the Social Security Death Index, a 20-year old Springfield resident named Mark Gilfoil died in July of 1974, but I couldn’t find his obituary on microfilm. Does anybody know anything about Mark? His birth date was listed as December 9, 1954. The name above his is either R.A. or A.A. White, undoubtedly a friend. I’m not trying to be morbid or anything. I just think his family would appreciate the fact that Mark, if he indeed passed away, lives on—his memory, and his name, embedded in the dam.

Once in 1976 or 1977 my friends and I discovered that someone laid fresh concrete on the dam, and we got busy putting OUR initials in it for posterity—until the older kids who had fixed the structure caught us in the act. “What the fuck do you think you’re doing?” one of them asked. “We put down that cement! We have to cross this dam every day to go to school and you’re fucking it up!” He pointed to a repaired section that was formerly a wide gap—a tricky one that you were forced to jump over in order to cross. We weren’t exactly sabotaging the dam, but they made us smooth over our initials.

We always hated those sons of bitches from “the other side” of the pond (the North Brook Road area). Those dirtbags didn’t even have curbs on their streets! We used to yell at them from the safety of our side (and vice versa), with a convenient water barrier to prevent a fight, but at the dam it was another story. There were too many “other siders” that day, and they were a few years older than us. Damn other-siders! Damn them to hell! It was OUR dam too, dammit! A member of my family helped build this damn dam!

Alas, the poorly maintained dam proved to be too much of a patchwork affair, and in 1982 slabs of concrete gave way, and all the water rushed out of Putnam’s Puddle. The Puddle returned to a piddling stream, and the tributary area is now overgrown with trees and brush. The city had plans to fix the dam and restore the pond, but it never did.

In the video below I take a walk across the dam. Do I see cast-away beer cans from successors of the Pothole Crew?

Here is the back of the dam:

Below is a video of the “Puddle” as it exists today. The stream was pretty accessible after the pond drained through the breach in the dam, but the whole area is now overgrown with phragmites, an invasive species of reed that crowds out native plants and animals along banks and shorelines. This is a 360-degree view from the ravine at the end of Maebeth Street.

Another WPA effort: in 1921, the city decided to build a road called Crosstown Boulevard, which was later renamed Roosevelt Avenue. The project wasn’t completed until WPA workers built a bridge over Watershops Pond in 1938. Construction (pictured below) took 300 days to complete.

The finished bridge (below) was named for Gen. Clarence M. Edwards, the World War I commander of the 26th Yankee Division.

The city put on a big parade for the dedication, according this article:

The Ruins of South Branch Park, Part 3

It was remiss of me in The Ruins of South Branch Park, Part 1 and Part 2 not to include some photos of the WPA efforts on THIS conservation land, including the long lost “scenic lookout” on the South Branch Parkway. A pathway in the woods immediately to the right of the Veterans Golf Course parking lot, on the back nine holes of the course, will lead you to the abandoned skating rink and the ruins of Camp Angelina. But before you find these ruins, if you keep your eye on the right, you will see a large stone wall.

Hike up the incredibly steep embankment and you’ll see how large this redstone structure actually is, and how it was built into a cliff.

You’ll also see that it curves at the sides. Follow the left curve to the very top, wipe the sweat off your brow after this almost totally vertical side hike, and check out the semicircle platform lookout to the right. To the left is the South Branch Parkway. When the WPA built the road it created this rest area, which has long since been closed to cars and taken over by nature.

Just look at this view (below). Yep, you just climbed up that dizzying incline. And if you’re less inclined to walk back down, slipping on leaves and grabbing trees to prevent a fall—there’s no pathway here; it’s all bushwhacking on the hill—then simply walk along the Parkway back to the parking lot, stroll down the golf cart path a little bit, and then hit the trailhead again to continue your hike.

As I wrote before, to see the other features of South Branch Park, it’s probably best to park in the Walgreen’s/Blockbuster Video lot on Parker Street, cross Parker, and stroll a little south to see the waterfall.

The city of Springfield had the foresight to pursue the preservation of these woods back in the early 1930s. Proposals for a park there date back to at least 1926. After a large land gift from property owners, the Springfield Daily News wrote in an editorial on March 28, 1931: “One feature that makes the gift the more remarkable is the fact that those who contributed in turning over this tract of 156 acres of land to the city are not representative of the wealthy classes for the most part, but really represent a cross-section of the citizenship of Springfield.” Another 42-acre tract was donated to the city in 1933.

Below is a photo from early last century of the small pond in the foreground just above the waterfall. In the background is the connecting Mill Pond.

The bridge over Parker Street has changed a bit over the years. I should walked uphill a little but and captured more of Mill Pond in the photo below to provide more of a before-and-after effect. You’d think I would have run back over there and snapped the better picture by now. Nope. Too lazy. This is all you’re getting, until the next time I’m there.

A pathway toward the back of the old South Branch Park lot takes you on a great walk to the rest of the reservation, but what has been lost over the years is the pathway just past the falls that follows the raging brook and provides a commanding view of the gorge and rapids. It’s all overgrown now, but it’s worth bushwhacking and limbo dancing under low tree limbs to follow the old path, on which you can walk down redstone stairs that were laid there by WPA workers:

And then, at the bottom of the stairs: a great vista of the raging water.

It’s views like these that captured the imagination of famous landscape painter Roswell Morse Shurtleff (1838-1915), as mentioned in The Ruins of South Branch Park, Part 2. Below is a painting of a “Sixteen Acres trout stream” by George Harrington (1833-1911). I’m betting it was within the South Branch Park area, which was known for its beauty.

Here is an old stone wall (probably not the work of the WPA—most likely a farmer) on the Plumtree Road side of the reservation:

This walkway below, however (also on the Plumtree Road side), smacks of WPA excess. “How can we stretch this job even further? I know—let’s build an unnecessary walkway from the street!”


Let’s move from The Acres to downtown and take a look at the old Top of the Round revolving restaurant at Holiday Inn on Dwight Street. What a treat this was in little old Springfield: watching the downtown skyline from all angles while eating dinner. It wasn’t the first revolving restaurant I had been in—I had dined at the Sklylon Tower in Niagara Falls. Still, it was cool to see such landmarks as Sacred Heart Church from a unique vantage point.

Opened in 1968, this was Holiday Inn’s fifth revolving restaurant. There was also a lounge there with live music, and one musician recalled a one-of-a-kind experience in the place: he always got to play to a new audience every few minutes. For the band, it was like performing “in the round,” only the listeners were revolving, not the stage. I’m not sure when the revolving restaurant was replaced with a stationary one. Zaffino’s succeeded Top of the Round, and then came the Panorama restaurant. One of these eateries, I assume, replaced the red upholstery:

A couple of episodes of The Simpsons cartoon included a revolving restaurant, and for years I believed that the Springfield on the show HAD to be based on Springfield, Mass. because of this fact. The sign on the show’s establishment read “Springfield Revolving Restaurant: Sit-N-Rotate.”

I was disappointed to discover, however, that The Simpsons’ revolving restaurant (above) mocked not the Top of the Round, but Seattle’s Space Needle (below), which was built for the 1962 World’s Fair. After the fair, a restaurant was built in the revolving top of the tower, so diners could sit and spin in space age luxury. In The Simpsons episode, Principal Skinner tells Patty Bouvier on a date: “You know, the food tastes better when you’re revolving.”

In The Simpsons’ 1999 Halloween episode Life’s a Glitch, Then You Die, the world’s computers malfunctioned because of the Y2K millennium bug, causing the Sit-N-Rotate restaurant to spin at a high speed until it detached and flew away. This is apparently what happened at the Holiday Inn in Springfield, because here is how it looks today, totally devoid of any evidence of the Top of the Round:


Please forgive the scatological nature of this blog post as it goes from Sixteen Acres to elsewhere. That’s why it’s called “Spitting to All Fields.” Because my last two posts in March and April have been about Springfield’s downtown and Hampden’s Laughing Brook, respectively, my friends have been nagging me to bring this blog back to The Acres. And that’s what I did. But you can’t stay in The Acres forever, can you?

Whoa! What the hell is that doing here? You know, you find the darndest things when you are spinning the wheels of the microfilm machine though the Springfield newspapers. I never thought I’d see this grizzly bear again. The menacing creature’s former home was the Springfield Natural History Museum (now the Springfield Science Museum) and it was posed attacking a fleeing elk. By the mid-1970s, however, so many visitors “petted” the critter that it started falling apart, and the museum staff made it a point to keep it on display to warn visitors of what happens to mammal exhibits when too many inconsiderate people touched them: they lost their fur.

Unfortunately, the bear seems to be long gone—either in storage or in the landfill. It’s too bad, because the creature was easily the most entertaining of the stuffed animals—even more exciting, in my opinion, of Suicide Sam the elephant. My five-year-old son would have loved him, although I doubt he would bravely face down the grizzly like the brave soul pictured above.

I also found an old ad that is destined to be inserted into my drive-in theatres blog entry: Riverside Park-In Theatre in Agawam, the area’s first ozoner. I apologize for the blurriness of the clipping. The 1933 movie is entitled Narcotic. The ad reads: “Perverted crimes against innocent womanhood by dope-soaked men. Leaves nothing to the imagination. Authentic facts boldly revealed.”

Hmm. Could there be anything on the web about this movie? Of course! Below is the movie poster:

And...yes! The whole flick is on YouTube in seven parts. Below is Part 1. It’s not as good as Reefer Madness, but check out the obviously Caucasian actor made up like a Chinese man, puffing on opium and speaking in the most fake Chinese accent you’ve ever heard:

Speaking of Asian stereotypes, how about Oriental Jade? Ooh, how exotic!

I bet many moons have passed since the last time you’ve thought about the fact that they showed soft porn at the Enfield Cinema. Perhaps you even visited the establishment. I only went once—I swear—and I was horrified to see one of the hottest babes at Cathedral High School in the ticket booth. I stopped in my tracks and balked at getting in line.

“Holy shit,” I said to my friend. “She’ll know we’re going to see a porn.”

“Yep,” he replied. “But she’ll know that WE know that she works at a porn theater.”

“True,” I said as I took out my wallet and headed to the line.


Well, I have one more expectoration for you in my “Spitting to All Fields,” this one from the Iron Sheik:

“Iran num-behrr one! USSR num-behrr one! USA…




Randylou said...

Okay, where do I begin?

Yes, I remember the A&P and the Plywood Ranch, et. al., but bumper sliding I really remember well. As to which one was more fun, bumper sliding or hitting cars with snowballs, I'd have to come down on the side of bumper sliding. We actually had a bus driver in junior high school that made Otto look like a devout mormon. He would actually dare us to hang onto the back of the bus while he gunned it -- full of kids inside and with about five of us hanging off the back -- up Glenoak Drive. Oddly enough, he lost his job after that.

Snowballing cars also made for some laughs, though I eventually got suspended from school for a week for doing it, even though we always through at a six-wheeler that gave us his permission. I have to say that it was always quite a thrill when you could hit a speeding car from 100 feet away with perfect timing. Then you'd hear the skid, and you'd take off like a bat out of hell into the woods to safety.

When we first moved to Sixteen Acres in 1971, it had both Acre and Parker Drug, HOT, the A&P, Friendly's in that plaza, and there was a restaurant behind what is now Dunkin Donuts. On the other side, there was Marshall's, Big Y, another ice cream parlor next to that (where Johnny Mac's is now), and some stores next to Marshalls on the other side. Pizza Palace wasn't even there yet. On the corner where Pride is now was a smaller Gulf station, and the Mobil Station sported the Eliot Noyes design with the cylindrical pumps and round canopies that no one ever seemed to have the foresight to preserve. Those are now ALL gone.

If I might suggest some future material, you might want to look up a little on the history of what we once called the "Outer Belt Highway." Do you know why they called it that? Planners at one time proposed a highway linking I-91 at Forest Park with the Mass Turnpike at Ludlow with a belt highway that would have plowed right through Forest park and Sixteen Acres. Check out http://homepage.mac.com/kefkafloyd/valleyroads/oldspfld.html

Hell's Acres said...

Hi Randy,

Yes, a future blog entry will undoubtedly be reserved for recollections of hitting cars with snowballs, the inevitable skid sound, and the chases that ensued. Once a Hood truck driver followed our tracks through the yards, found my friend hiding behind a dog house, and kicked him in the head a few times.

I believe Popular Market occupied the space prior to Marshall's, and the ice cream place on the left was Princess Parlor. I do remember Bing's Gulf with the old pumps.

Thanks for the link! The Outer Belt stuff is interesting. It looks like they were thinking of putting it right along the shore of Bass Pond.

This scheme reminds me of how the state had planned to run I-95 through Milton, Hyde Park, Jamaica Plain, and the South End of Boston, and tear down everything in its path.

Parker House said...

I'd have to cast my vote for bumper sliding versus snowballs at cars. We rarely were able to manage bumper sliding on a stranger's car so we slid behind our friend's cars. While you've stated that "it doesn't count", my friends loved trying to toss you off going around corners. So, a couple of fishtails later and bumper sliding become bumper scraping. Plus it was a real challenge hanging on and going through entire neighborhoods' worth of side-streets.

On to sites around the Acres Center: Don't forget the stereo store that was next to the Christian Reading Room. The name escapes me right now but my older brothers would frequent it and come home with promotional posters that they used to give out. They were of seventies rock artists promoting the equipment that they used. I'll have to see if any are lying around the old house. How can we not mention Burns Liquors as well? While it came to prominence in my life after the period in which you are writing, you can never forget your first – first as in first underage purchase of beer.

Your reminiscing does bring back many memories of the Acres and as a younger brother, I got the honor of repeating the antics of my older brothers while knowing how to escape punishment and knowing who to stay away from. Although, I didn’t escape punishment for driving golf balls out of our front yard towards houses on Plumtree Road like they did! There are more stories like that but I digress.

Thanks for mentioning my bro – he is missed. If anyone could ever write a blog about the antics of youth to top yours, it might’ve been him. His subject matter would be far superior I hate to say but don’t think he could match your writing skills.

Anonymous said...

Mark Gilfoil graduated with me from Tech High in 1972, I believe he was killed in a motorcycle accident.

sodafixer said...

Great blog... Glad you found my Duggan Yearbook online, I got a kick out of seeing it here.
Funny when Tracy described the way the HOT sign blinked...I never would have remembered that...but I sure had a vivid memory of that sign blinking exactly as described!
The fountain was in front of Arco (later named am/pm) I remember my mother getting an orange styrofoam ball from there as a "free gift" which was designed to place on your car antenna, so you could find your car in a crowded parking lot (why do I remember such usless things?)
Do you remember the grocery store named Jumbo? it was in the parking lot where Lousi and Clark is. That store burned down in the early 70s I believe. Also in the parking lot was Treats...where I was never allowed to go because the big kids hung out there (you know...the teenagers) later on the site of Jumbo...was the Electronic Circus, pinball joint...where if you reached around the back of some of the machunes...you could set it for free pinball.You only did this if you were too lazy to hammer out some pennies to the size of a quarter and use them to get 2 games....5 balls a game. How about the Pool tables they had...if you inserted your quarter...hmm...maybe 50 cents...and stuck a matchbook under the coin ratchet...it would stick in and you could play all day for free! (not that I would have done any of these tricks...that would have been dishonest)
Next to that was Gas Town...
Thanks for your great blog, I look forward to your next entry.

Hell's Acres said...

Hey Sodafixer,

I do remember Arco giving away cardboard Red Sox portraits, and I still have them!

It's funny you mention Jumbo and Gas Town, because I'm going to mention them in my next entry. I remember Jumbo burning down on Xmas eve '69 or '70.

I'm glad you remembered the name of Electronic Circus, because I couldn't. It was a big deal the day that opened. Lots of kids used metal slugs, screwing up the machines. Once I put a quarter in a pinball machine and Tiddlywinks disks came out of the change slot!

By the time we started going to Treats nobody hung out there anymore. I remember the jukebox on the right when you walked in.

Some day I'll write about that dive The Chimes. Do you remember the year that off-duty cop shot two guys in there? Mid- to late-'70s I believe. One of them lived on Pineview Street.

Anonymous said...

RE the fountain at Wilbraham & Bradley Roads, my dad was the original owner of the Atlantic (later Arco) gas station where the fountain was located. I remember him complaining about the soap in the fountain when I was a kid. Soadfixer is right on, I remember the Sox pictures, and will never forget the styrafoam 'Red Balls' for the car antennas. When my dad sold the station around 1973, we ended up with cases of those balls in our garage at home. They all ended up in our pool years later during a drunken teenager pool party when the parents were gone for the weekend.

Thanks for the memories from an old acres kid.

kosherkop said...

so many bumper sliding stories...one was on new years eve, about 20 yrs ago in a vt. hotel parking lot, with about 2" of snow on the ground, just enough snow for perfect bumper sliding conditions...instead of the normal crouched bumper sliding position though, we would prone our bodies out, on our backs, so the bumper was above our heads...the rider then might do chin ups underneath the bumper, sometimes dangling by one arm, and sometimes switching arms...then the 2nd "team-mate" would grab onto the 1st slider's legs and form a chain...we imagined making this an olympic event...but the best part was looking from the hotel room in the dim hotel parking lot lights, at the tracks left behind from our swinging and swaying bodies...we would also pick tiny pebbles and feathers from our shredded down filled jackets, and imagining if we became olympic heroes, that we could sell them on hsn...
another story involved attaching skis and a long cord and slaloming in and out of the tree belts...
another story involved my friend bumper sliding in the summer in his bare feet at pufferbellies parking lot...needless to say he has the ugliest feet around...
another story involved hitching up an old metal boxspring to my friend's internantional, in the woods of westfield near the buck and doe bar....we would scream " through the woods!" through the woods!" as we proceded to rt 202...i would be holding on for dear life as sparks would come up from the road, and an ear piercing screech would be heard, and the box spring would get very hot...my friends would be throwing bud cans at me, and i was dying of laughing...SICK!

Hell's Acres said...

Hey koshercop,

Looks like we were just amateurs. You took bumper sliding to an art form!

Anonymous said...

We used to refer to bumper sliding as "hopping cars". It was a popular winter pastime in Cleveland, Ohio back when cars had chrome bumpers.

Great memories, and I'm glad to know that the "hobby" was more than just a local thing!

Anonymous said...

I hung around on the North Brook side all through the early seventies. We practically lived in the woods next the "Pond" as we called Putnams Puddle back then. Normally we hung around in the woods between Meadowlark Lane and Sparrow Drive. We were the "Moochi" (Mooch-eye) because everyone was always mooching cigarettes, beer and whatever else we could off each other and even the the other neighborhood younger kids. The "Pothole" you refer to was dug by us as a trap for the cops to fall in when they came to hassle us when we would sit around a fire and party down at that end of the pond. The best happened one night when the cops (they always traveled with partners back then) came along their usual routine to roust us out of there, but we were ready with the pit covered with branches and leaves. We hid off to the sides and waited til we heard the clanking of keys and some cuss words as one of the cops fell into the hole! We laughed about that one for a long time. I have tons of memories from my years hanging around the pond. I went to Cat High and graduated in 75. My nickname was Rabbit - I haven't been there in 30 years since I moved to CT - man, those were the good old days!

Hell's Acres said...

Wow, to think that The Pothole was dug by "Other Siders" for a cop trap! I don't remember which one of us first found The Pothole, but we quickly took it over. What year did you dig it and when did you abandon it?

Rabbit said...

I am thinking we dug the pothole in maybe 70 or 71 in late fall. It was just something we did while hanging out down there until we moved in more officially to the bottom of Sparrow Drive and joined forces with some of the older guys on our side. I never thought much of it after the cop fell in because it wasn't the place to be if the cops are ticked off at you. There was one cop who always seemed to have it in for us, but I can't remember his name.
Here is a good story about one the friction between our side and your side of the pond - we were anticipating you guys to come around to our side and start some trouble with us and our campfire spot. So some of us grabbed about a 12 foot long log, maybe a foot or so in diameter, lashed some ropes to it and tied it up between two trees probably 15 feet up in the air like a big swinging medieval weapon ready to sweep lengthwise directly into the oncoming path in the woods - quite a project, really. Next thing you know someone yells "here they come!", and down comes this big old honking log only to knock a mini bike out from underneath one of our guys younger brother - lucky he didn't get killed!
Does anyone remember the raft that used to be in the pond? I don't know where it came from, but it seemed like it belonged to the pond and whomever wanted to tool around on it could. Just leave the raft poles on it for the next users. With 3 or 4 us on it, it would kind of just barely stay above the surface - it was pretty well water logged.
In the winter we used to do something called "Playing The Hots" down in the swampy end of the pond where the feeder brook came in. It was shallowish (1 - 3 feet deep) water that was only frozen slightly. We would see how far we could travel among the cat tails on 1/2" or less crystal clear ice without falling in, which of course one of us would, and get a leg wet and then it was off to build a fire and dry out grabbing some cat tails to burn while we're at it - those puppies will burn like wild fire when crack them all open.
I also remember Jimmy Flemming passing away down at the dam. We hung out with him from time to time even though he was much older than us. He came home from Vietnam with a drinking problem and had fallen into the pond near the dam that night and couldn't make it up the hill to his house because of the snow and him being all iced up. Very sad. He was good guy that got messed up by the war. That was a tough hill to climb up in the winter, but nobody wanted to walk all the way around since we had to up Pineview and catch the school bus.
I didn't realize how many blogs are on this site til just now. You know, I just kind of bumped into this blog and it has stirred up a lot of old memories of my delinquent youth. I have lots more stories rumbling around in my head. The guy's father who owned the Arco Station at Breckwood Blvd and Wilbraham Rd probably wouldn't appreciate the story about us twisting a coat hanger around the posts on a battery stacked with all the other used batteries at the back of the station and then walking off to Duggan Jr. High to school only to hear a pretty hefty explosion about 5 minutes later...

Hell's Acres said...

Damn, Rabbt, I always catch your comments after work, when I can't respond at length on the iPhone. Glad you found Hell's Acres. Always wondered who dug that hole.

Heard Fleming was in the Circle Gang. Maybe, maybe not. I remember skating at night at the feeder stream area, the ice cracking under my skates.

Glad to see the animosity between the sides predated our days down there. You're OK for an Other Sider lol.

Hell's Acres said...

OMG I am loving these pond stories . Keep them coming! I know there are more! I feel like writing another Putnam's Puddle post!

Hell's Acres said...

Did your side ever experience that bald Peeping Tom in the early '70s? He used the woods as cover and an escape route when the cops were called. The freak used to steal women's underwear and break into houses. We he'd several experiences with him. Always got away. One fast SOB.

Rabbit said...

I don't remember the Peeping Tom incident but there were plenty of midnight garden raids back then. I may have been guilty of liberating a few vegetables myself...
I do recall the annual Fourth of July party that Frank Scibelli would throw every year. It was an event that we all looked forward to, with everyone on the street being invited. It was a catered affair with open bar and free soda for all the kiddies. Towards dusk he would light off tons of fireworks and aim the aerial stuff over the pond from the corner Meadowlark Lane and North Brook Road much to the delight of all us kids. We would scramble for the duds almost as soon as they hitting the ground so we could light them off ourselves the next day. One year I grabbed one of those ladyfinger firecracker packs at the same time as another kid and much to our surprise it went off it our hands at the same time. No hand damage other than stinging fingers but I still get a brief ringing in one ear every once in a while ever since that day. Scibelli was an okay guy to us kids and never gave us a hard time. His wife and kids were very nice people. I even hung out with his son from time to time whe I was a pre-teen. I had been in their house on quite few times and it was decorated in a Mediterranean style - really classy. I remember seeing pictures on the wall of him posing with celebrities such as Milton Berle and the like. I met Ann Corio the burlesque star over there once and got her autograph - I still have it somewhere - I wonder if it has any value? I don't think my mother was too pleased when I came home with that...lol! In my later years our gang, The Moochi would often meet on the other side of the street from Frank Scibelli's until we all gathered and figured where were going for the evening, and he still never gave us a hard time. Archie Poon owned that side of the street and he sure didn't like us hanging out there even though there was a fence and a bunch trees and bushes in between us and his yard. I guess we did look like a bunch of hoodlum hippies hanging out on the corner. That's why we retreated to the woods most of the time until some of us started getting apartments and then we would hang out there if we weren't at the Chimes on Breckwood Blvd. Anyone remember Ray Boston playing there? We must have been his biggest fans. He even played at the wedding of some us! We sure logged lots of hours at the Chimes when we turned 18...

Hell's Acres said...

I went to school with Frank Jr. We fought a couple of times in 8th grade, and my dad, a friend of his family, told me to back off lol.

All of our fireworks we purchased originated from Meadowlark Lane.

Garden raids: hard to explain to wife and others. It was an Acres Thing.

Rabbit said...

Did you know that we used to call the boat launch at the end of Meadowlark Lane, "The Chute"? We would always end up saying something like "I'll meet you at the Chute at Six". We caught many a fish sitting on the sewer pipe down at the Chute. Rubber worms were the bait of choice for Largemouth Bass, although you could catch pumpkin seeds on almost a bare hook.
When I was about ten in the later sixties, my friend and I tossed about 50 clay 78's (record albums from the 30's & 40's) that his mother had given us into Putnam's Puddle from the Chute. We sent them flying into the pond like frisbees. Since they are made of clay some are probably buried out there to this very day. I can also recall girls sunbathing down there in the early days before it got all choked up with weeds. Bullfrog hunting at night was also a lot of fun too. In our later years the swampy end of the pond was choked up by a specially planted garden of a different kind of "weeds". By the seventies we had "special gardens" planted in secret locations all over the surrounding woods. It wouldn't be unusual to stumble across someone else's plants. If you were a good "Doobie", you would let the plants be. 'Twas the days of Barny's Hill and Forest Park, you know...

Hell's Acres said...

I'll have to be on the lookout down there for 44-year old plants lol. We used to fish off the Meadowlark pipe a lot. There was always something visible just above the surface about 20 yards out from there. We always thought it was a rock. When the dam broke and the water was gone it turned out to be someone's Xmas tree. We didn't see any records. Sadly, there is no path to the chute any more. All overgrown on both the left and right.

Hell's Acres said...

Rabbit, unfortunately I found no remaining path on your side when I looked a few years ago, except one behind the dam that goes all the way to the intersection on North Brook Rd. and Sunrise.

Remember the good old days when the path on the Sunrise side went all the way to the feeder brook and beyond, all the way to the Morrow's back yard on the other end of North Brook? That was before they squeezed in a couple of houses on the pond side of Sunrise.

Rabbit said...

Too bad about no path around what's left of the pond area. Been around the whole pond on countless occasions, but yes we could never go around the whole thing because of the houses at the swamp end. I saw about Mike Schiavina on your blog. How sad... I used to play cards with him in home room and study halls. We used to catch the bus right near his house.
How about Dr. Brigada? I went to school with his son also. He was my dentist until I left Springfield in the early eighties.
Do you remember a fire plug where North Branch and Sunrise split off? It was on the little island there - until one of our friends took it after a late night - TWICE. Haha, good old Mike could never make that left corner after having one too many. After he hit it the second time, they just never put it back. I see on Google maps its just a spit of an island, it seemed much bigger back then and certainly didn't have a crosswalk. We used to cut up the dirt road down near the bottom of North Brook and Grayson Drive and would come out at the back of what used to be The Gateway Apartments. That was the way to Duggan School, it could be pretty scary in there when you were alone in the dark. I don't see it on Google maps at all. Gosh, we used to hang out at the Packie until someone would buy for us and then go hang out down at the dirt road sometimes. I can't remember what package store was there before the Big Y Packie. I worked there one year - we would sit in the cooler and sample all the different beers when it wasn't busy. Now that's a job with perks!

Hell's Acres said...

That Gateway access road is so overgrown now. There was a time when a side path off the road followed the stream all the way to Breckwood Blvd. I tried hiking it around 7 years ago, and there are remnants of the original path, but not much.

That access road did look scary at night. One night we left our car at The Gully at Fairlawn and went to Mory's (Chimes) with a friend from out of town and on the way back we cut thru Gateway and he balked at the path to sunrise lol. It looked freaky. We told him to be a man!

j.t. huckle said...

I lived on Bridle path in the 60s in the first house behind Bridle path pharmacy,I remember riding horses where McDonalds and Wendy's areally now located and all the different shop which were located in the Gaslight parking lot,i do not know what else to call it,there was Armadas grocery store,and I do not recall the rest save for the LIGHT,I enjoyed you picture of the red bridge on Bradley rd..I spent many summer days fishing from the golf course to watershops,as a matter of fact,while attending Talmadge elementary school,we had to do a project in regards to a book we had choosen to read mine was Huckleberry Finn of course and the project I choose was to cook trout caught from southbranch for my classmates,as far as I was concerned it was a hit,though to my dismay there were suddenly tons of kids fishing my stream ,so I moved on and started riding my bike to scandic rivir..I would have to say most all of my friends came from this side of Harkness to the inner nieghborhoods of the Acres, as well as having spent time wrestling in professor Colemans basement, a good man who i.admired though I've heard others have regarded him as something less than a mentor,I myself never experienced anything unusual while wrestling in hiedi basement along with many great friends

Hell's Acres said...

Hi J.T.

Thanks for the comment. You must have known the Bridle Path Gang. Who were some of the members? I can only assume as years went by and the pharmacy was no more the Bridle Path Gang sort of morphed into the Treetops: Matt Wholley, Jamie Gauthier, Brian Rooney. I'm blanking on other Treetops names.

According to Coleman's book, the guys from the Bridle Path Gang got jumped one night by the Circle Gang, but who knows? Coleman sometimes changed the incidents a bit in the book to avoid people being identified.

There was another gang behind the Eastfield Mall as well. And another at McDonald's on Boston Road. Do you remember them?

My last couple of posts have been on the Daniel Croteau murder. He used to wrestle at Coleman's house on Tuesdays. Do you remember him wrestling there at all? I think guys from the Circle Gang used to wrestle there also.

Yes, I'm aware of some rumors about Coleman "liking wrestling a bit too much." I always attributed them to possibly some members of the Circle Gang who might have made them up because a handful of them were pissed off about the book. You might have heard some things as well over the years.